VISITING THE HMHC
Our permanent collections are operated by the Hennepin Health Foundation.
The collections are located in the lower level of the HCMC Blue Building – 915 S 8th St, Minneapolis, MN. MAP
Both collections are open:
Tuesdays and Thursdays
10am - 2pm and by appointment
The MMC Collection:
Is located in BL.227.
The HCMC Collection:
Is located in BL.226.
Email | 612.873.6090
Established in 1974, The MMC Historical Library and Collection is dedicated to providing resources for research and education, as well as preserving and collecting photographs, records and equipment that document the work of the MMC and its predecessors, St Barnabas Hospital (Minneapolis' first hospital 1871), including St Andrew's Hospital and The Swedish Hospital (1898-1970).
The HCMC History Collection is a lively look at the life and work at a busy public hospital as well as patient care and medical procedures. The collection preserves and represents the history of the HCMC and its predecessor hospitals dating from 1887: Minneapolis City Hospital, Minneapolis General Hospital, and Hennepin County General Hospital.
Both MMC and HCMC were sponsored by the HCMC Service League. In 2009, the Service League transitioned into the Hennepin Health Foundation (HHF) and the two collections were merged into the Hennepin Medical History Center within the HHF structure. The collections are self supported through donations and share a curator.